|This Policy, Document or Page is Under Discussion and is not formally implemented yet.
What can and can't we store in our storage boxes?
Things You CANNOT Store
- No smouldering materials
- No hazardous materials (COSHH) - every material has a MSDS sheet saying how it should be handled and stored. if obviously hazardous, need to get sheet and read it and follow any storage procedure required in the MSDS sheet. The MSDS sheet must be printed and put in the Materials place in the Store Room. See the Hazardous Materials Policy page.
- No food not securely packed and outside of box labelled with dispose by date.
- No explosives
- No harmful/dangerous chemicals
- No noise emitting things (eg. no beeps every hour)
- “No active things” but ok for silent digital watch
- Nothing that affects people working around it or things in adjacent
- Nothing that emits heat or light.
- Nothing obviously dangerous or illegal :)
- No Home Made Lithium battery packs with out consultation with the Management Committee
Things You Must Do
- Things should be labelled and appropriately packaged
- Storage box lids should be secured
- Sharp items, such as knives, - the box must be marked and blades sensibly packed
- Boxes must be marked if super heavy
- Please don't label a box unless you intend to use it
- Commercial Lithium Battery battery packs, commercial off the shelf batteries, must be stored in suitable cases / packaging. Ideally any LiPo type batteries should be stored in a fireproof charging bag.
- If you stop being a Member, anything stored may be disposed of. The Hackspace is not a dump for stuff you don't want!
- Unusually large or unwieldy items should be discussed before you store them - this means anything that doesn't fit into a standard storage box.
Info and process
- Standard storage boxes are <TOO BE CONFIRMED> boxes (Likely 18L or 35L Really Useful Boxes.)
- The box needs to be clearly labelled with the members name and contact details
- Boxes can only be kept on the blue storage rack in the alcove, or in the loft. Please move your box to the left if you're not going to need it for a few weeks, to allow others to use the easy access shelves.
- Storage of large items that don't fit in a box needs to be agreed with a quorum (no?) of members before being brought into the space. If agreed, the item must be labelled with a do not hack sticker, the member's name, contact details, the date of labelling and the date that they will be removed. Large items cannot be stored for more than 6 months unless being actively and mostly continuously worked on.
- Items breaking the above storage rules must be promptly removed from the space (immediately if they cause a significant disruption, or otherwise within 1 month of being given notice), or the group will dispose or disperse them as it deems appropriate.
- Large item storage will be audited monthly.